The team at Education Opens Doors is passionate about expanding access to college knowledge.
Do you identify with our core values, vision and mission?
Explore our open careers below.
Manager of Development
Manager of Development Position:
Education Opens Doors is seeking a Manager of Development to join our highly motivated and collaborative Dallas-based team. The Manager of Development will join a driven, dynamic, and growing team, who are currently supporting over 100 educators and 10,000 students across Texas with the life-changing Roadmap to Success program. The Manager of Development is responsible for managing the fundraising strategy to support Education Opens Doors’ Roadmap to Success program with a goal of $895,000 to be raised through philanthropic giving in FY19. Our fiscal year runs from July 1, 2018- June 30, 2019. This position will build upon successful fundraising endeavors throughout our organization’s history, which raised over $800,000 in the last fiscal year alone. The Manager of Development is responsible for creating the fundraising vision for Education Opens Doors in cooperation with the Executive Director and other leadership, as well as directing the execution of the plan supporting that vision. Other priorities include leading our grants management process by researching, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding foundation grants in support of our program. Additionally, the Manager of Development will manage a portfolio of donors/prospects through prospect identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship.
Development team planning and oversight: (25%)
In their role as the only full-time fundraiser currently at EOD, the Manager of Development leads and coordinates all fundraising efforts with the support of the Executive Director as well as the Development and Communications team. In addition to the Manager of Development, the current Development and Communications Team consists of the Marketing & Program Coordinator, who manages all marketing collateral and website, email and social media communications; as well as the Director of Strategic Partnerships, who manages all business development efforts and provides support with corporate partnerships and engagement.
In their capacity, the Development Manager proactively leads short and long-term departmental planning initiatives to assist with annual budget preparation, setting annual targets and goals for the fundraising program including development of monthly and annual metrics, tracking and reporting, and preparation and execution of the annual fundraising plan that includes timelines, and resources required.
Work with Executive Director, Director of Operations, other staff members, Board of Directors, and Advisors to create and implement an annual fundraising plan across all platforms. The plan will encompass all fundraising and third-party events, major gifts fundraising, corporate partnerships, and foundation and corporate grant-seeking and reporting. The Manager of Development will set goals and benchmarks; develop strategies to meet and exceed fundraising goals; assess progress to goals, and ensure effective implementation.
Collaborate with Communications and Business Development teams on a regular basis to implement fundraising and engagement campaigns.
Individual Donors: (20%)
Craft a vision and strategy to engage EOD’s growing individual donor base that will be executed in collaboration with the support of the Development and Communications team.
In collaboration with the Executive Director, identify, cultivate, solicit and steward major individual donors in North Texas. Manage key donor relationships as applicable and necessary.
Refine and implement a stewardship program aimed at cultivating deeper ties with donors.
Corporate and Foundation Grants: (40%)
Manage the grant development process from start to finish, including drafting compelling and dynamic letters of intent and full proposals including assembling all materials required for submission, developing budgets and timelines, coordinating site visits and producing interim progress reports for funders, administration and the Board as needed.
Develop and oversee grant pipeline, including identifying and researching potential funding sources matching the agency’s program goals and priorities with grant opportunities. Write and submit follow-up reports and updates as required by funders.
Maintain files of all grant requests and reports, and maintain and update EOD’s CRM software with relevant information.
Ensure ongoing cultivation and stewardship of all fundraising sources. Manage a current portfolio of institutional donors by coordinating donor’s solicitations and communications. Maintain an accurate and updated grant database to track deadlines, submissions, etc.
Other duties: (15%)
Engage current and prospective donors by planning annual site visit events, including managing preparation and day-of logistics, as well as coordination of invitations and attendees.
Develop, grow and maintain fundraising relationships and partnerships with other organizations in the community.
Work with staff to ensure full and effective utilization of Salesforce database system by tracking and reporting all donor-related activity.
Attend fundraising meetings, strategic planning meetings, staff meetings, and community meetings as needed.
Other duties as assigned, including oversight of the creation of fundraising and marketing materials and coordinating annual solicitations.
Serve as a liaison to invited presentations, events, and meetings as needed.
This is a full-time position starting in FY19, which will directly report to EOD’s Executive Director.
– Demonstrated success achieving ambitious funding goals in a competitive, fast-changing environment.
– Superior writing skills.
– Excellent verbal communication skills, including demonstrated ability to communicate with all levels of management and staff, as well as external stakeholders, philanthropic leaders, and community members.
– Demonstrated ability to set goals and objectives and the ability to apply this skill to our organization.
– Deep familiarity with Dallas’ nonprofit sector and the funding landscape.
– Experience developing new strategic partnerships with community-based organizations, corporations, foundations, and philanthropic community.
– Strong knowledge of education issues and program outcome evaluation, preferred.
Required Education and Experience:
– Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
– Minimum 3 years (preferred 5 years) of experience in development and fundraising field
– Experience (2+ years) with grant writing and/or grant management
– Knowledge of Dallas-area philanthropic community and private and corporate foundations
– Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, Word, PowerPoint and Excel, and Google suite equivalents
– Experience with a fundraising database system/CRM
– Ability to work occasional evenings as requested
– Candidates with demonstrated experience in organizational/fundraising strategic vision setting and planning are highly preferred
– Experience working with people from underrepresented demographic backgrounds (race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, class, etc.)
– Strong understanding and analysis of timely issues affecting education, including the opportunity gap, access to resources, district zoning, and large district politics.
– Proficiency in the following software: Box, Salesforce
– Mission Oriented: Committed to social, economic and racial justice
– Driven: Possesses a diverse skill set and proactive about learning new skills
Collaborative: Willing to propose solutions and ideas to challenges based on expertise, debate their merits, and make final recommendations
Adaptable: Excited to work in a fast-moving small team environment, where each staff person assumes multiple responsibilities while striving to achieve shared goals
– Self-reflective: Open to receiving and giving ongoing feedback
Positive: Passionate, sense of humor, open to adventure, fun
Benefits and Salary:
Salary for the position is competitive and commensurate with prior experience. Interested and qualified applicants should submit a cover letter including salary requirements, a 1-2 page résumé, and a minimum of two references to email@example.com. In the subject line, please include your name and [Manager of Development].
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Education Opens Doors
c/o Jayda Batchelder
2804 Swiss Avenue
Dallas, Texas 75204
Education Opens Doors is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, religion, ancestry, color, race, ethnicity or creed. LGBTQ+ individuals and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.